Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default washers/cisterns

bm wrote:

"Cherie Plum" wrote in message
news
side entry inlet on cistern was slightly leaking. I undid the nut and
could see a broken washer so after googling and studying I bought some
fibre washers and screwed it all up and water rushed out of the back of
the nut. I redid it lots and once it almost held before gushing out. I
tried teflon tape but that was worse
more googling and I wonder if I cross threaded the plastic pipe (how
would I know visually?)
Off I went and bought an isolator and fitted that even cutting the pipe
myself! Now I could have my water on.
Tomorrow I will have another go.
Whats the odds of two fibre washers working?
A rubber one?
or will I need to buy a new fill valve?

Personally I'd go for rubber, fibre are a tad hard if mating surfaces are a
touch off kilter.
By isolator do you mean a "stop-end"?
Plastic pipe i've never used but surely you would have felt a cross thread?
As a last resort I'd try maybe 2 rubber washers (3 if there's room), PTFE
tape and careful tightening.
Plastic (new fill valve) is fairly expensive -

I had a cistern prob last weekend with a remote flush button, it wouldn't
flush.
Looked on google images, found the correct image which gave me the
manufacturer.
Phoned and collected a new one, bingo.
~£36 for a chromed plastic button + gubbins.
Oh Crikey (Billy Bunter), that equates to ~7 x fish'n'chips around here

Good luck with it.

I'd dearly love to see a rubber washer for a (metal as opposed to
plastic) tap connector. Where on earth do you get such a thing?

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/connectingtaps.htm

--

Roger Hayter