Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ABLE1[_3_] ABLE1[_3_] is offline

Default Odd Quote Response on 4140HT

On 11/10/2017 6:56 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I've been shopping around on some 4140 HT DCF, and I've got a couple
quotes already.Â* Some are to high.Â* Some are far enough away that
freight makes a significant difference.Â* I've been trying to find
somebody local (way to high) or atleast somebody in state with a regular
truck run.

Anyway, its no big deal getting quotes.Â* Just trying to find the right
one. Not necessarily just on price, but proximity, stock, etc.

I just received a response that made me wonder:

*********
Good Afternoon Bob,
Would you mind sharing the end use for this material with me?
*********

That was it.Â* No quote.Â* No response about whether they stock the size
or spec stock I need.Â* Nothing.Â* It struck me as odd.Â* So is there
something special about 4140HT that they would need to know, or is the
person responding just nosey?

Nobody else has asked what I plan to do with it.

Bob,

LOL
Could be that your usage is potentially in violation of something.
And as such he wanted to provide you with a legal alternative.

Or he is just wanting to start a relationship............. :-)

Maybe you should just lead him on and maybe get a free coffee.

Good Luck!!

Les