Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Sockets on Different Phases ?

Grey, really?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 10-Nov-17 8:22 AM, Andrew Mawson wrote:
When I've wired runs of 240v single phase 13A sockets in various
buildings on the farm I've always put them all on one phase so that there
is no danger of 415v phase to phase accidents when using things on
leads - am I being paranoid ?

I'm currently wiring up a Tractor Shed with runs of 13A sockets on
opposite walls 40 foot apart. It would be convenient to put them on
different phases not only to balance the load but also to free up a 'way'
in the breaker box. But this goes against my natural instinct.

..... what does the team think ?

My factories all had 13A sockets on different phases, as did the
headquarters of the Electricity Board I use to work for. The basic rule
was to ensure that there was at least 6ft 6in (2m) separation between
sockets on different phases. To avoid any doubt, the sockets were marked
with red, yellow or blue phase discs, as appropriate, on the wall beside
them. I suppose these days, they would be marked brown, black or grey.

Colin Bignell