Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default So how much power does an oil filled radiator actually use.

On Thursday, 9 November 2017 16:41:43 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 08:15:34 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Thursday, 9 November 2017 15:18:45 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 07:12:04 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

snip

So are you asking why it's currently showing ~700 W or why it's
fluctuating around 700W

Yes why is a 2KW heater only drawing 700W when fully on, if it was up to temperatury I'd expect it to disconneced with a bimetalic strip or something more advanced and would be 0W not 700W.

As would I ... so it sounds like the 700W element is in all the time?

Except if you turn the knob thermostate down (anti-clockwise)then it switches off to 0W and the LEDs go out.

Sounds like it's the upper limit stat that is cutting in and out on
the bigger element (only) ... before the main stat cuts everything
out? Do you have a IR thermometer? If so it might be interesting to
see what surface temperatures these clicks and measurements apply to.

We do have an IR thermo... good idea, providing I can find it.

What temperature would you expect say the half way up the fin should be.
I know it's to hot to hold on to as I tried.

If they are keeping them I'd be inclined to open one up and make a
wiring diagram (or see if there is one in there or in the manual).

The manual is on line and has the same details as the one supplied in the box.
When you say 'they' it is the estates department I doubt they'd like me taking their new stuff apart and I don't particually want to.
I have an oil filled radiator at home that works as I'd expect it to, but then that one was over £100 rather than £35.

Cheers, T i m