Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Sockets on Different Phases ?

Well I can well remember many many years ago the factory I was working in
got a visit from the Electricity mob, as our new extension running soak
tests on colour tvs and with lots of Fluorescent lights was making a hole in
one phase. After much measuring and head scratching they did put different
parts of our factory on different phases at the Leccy folks expense.
I certainly do not recall anyone even mentioning the 440 volt issue,
though now you mention it I guess if you were really determined you could
achieve it!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
news
When I've wired runs of 240v single phase 13A sockets in various buildings
on the farm I've always put them all on one phase so that there is no
danger of 415v phase to phase accidents when using things on leads - am I
being paranoid ?

I'm currently wiring up a Tractor Shed with runs of 13A sockets on
opposite walls 40 foot apart. It would be convenient to put them on
different phases not only to balance the load but also to free up a 'way'
in the breaker box. But this goes against my natural instinct.

..... what does the team think ?

Andrew