Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Birch Plywood For Painted Book Case - $50 vs. $75

On 11/9/17 5:34 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 5:20:43 PM UTC-6, -MIKE- wrote:

These are 4ft shelves and they were loaded down with books and
scrapbooks, etc., and have had no sag after years under load. In my
opinion, they would look really bad if I left them at 3/4" thick.

http://mikedrums.com/bookcases.jpg

Nice work! Just shows that matching the material to the project is
the key. I think 3/4" would have looked a little "60s handyman"
there myself.

Robert

It's all about scale and perspective-- something that stuck with me from
the 15 minutes I spent in architecture school. :-)

On an 18inch shelf in a 3ft high bookcase, yeah it probably looks fine.
But not on a 4ft shelf, 8ft high, across a 12ft wall.

I'm building some baby gates that are modeled after the staircase
handrail and spindles in the home it will be installed. I'm scaling
down the dimensions of the spindles to more accurately reflect the scale
of the gate. Almost like they will look the same size when viewed from
a distance. If I made them the exact same size, they would look way too
big. A little bit makes a big difference.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--