Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Rickenbacker RM112P monitor amp intermittnet popping and crackling.

On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 3:19:06 PM UTC-5, David Farber wrote:

I am doing this as charity work for a local Jazz group. I occasionally play
with the group at their Vets' Hall in Pismo Beach, CA. http://pismojazz.com/
I know the people there very well and the person that gave me the amp to fix
told me how it failed during a concert last month. As was previously stated,
the problem could be external to the amp. When I continue testing it today,
I'll include lots of tapping and prodding to see if anything unusual occurs.

By the way, are you able to identify this "extra" part that I found inside
the box?

View 1
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...y-object-a.jpg

View 2
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...y-object-b.jpg

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Short answer, no I have no clue. Much longer answer: I just installed half-a-dozen sharps containers in one of our practices, and if that device were 14" across and about 8" deep, it would bear an uncanny resemblance to the baseplate. That mounts to a wall or counter, and the container snaps into it and may be locked in place with a key. A tool is used to depress the cam (black sprung device) to remove the container.

Every so often, they let me out of the office and into the field to troubleshoot everything from tattoo-removal lasers to electronic door locks. Those things requiring certifications (lasers and surgical or treatment devices, cryostats and such) I will diagnose so that the certified repair technician has a starting point, usually with that tech on the phone. Those that do not, I will repair and test. So, rather than calling an outside carpenter, I installed the sharps containers as I was in the area. New Jersey, Texas, Oregon, Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia - it does get me around. But the resemblance is very close.