Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_7_] dadiOH[_7_] is offline

Default Birch Plywood For Painted Book Case - $50 vs. $75

"DerbyDad03" wrote in message
I'm planning on building a pair of bookcase/hutches like these:

https://imgur.com/a/eCVZT

They will be painted, so I'm considering 3/4 birch plywood, something I've
never used before. A local lumber yard quoted me ~$75 per 4 x 8 sheet.
Depot has (what they call) Birch Plywood for ~$50.

I know that HD lumber typically sucks but I'm curious: What does the extra
$25 get me at the lumber yard?

Several things, possibly, singly or in combination...

1. better face veneers. A2 vs D4, eg
2. made in US vs elsewhere
3. better interior veneers, fewer voids, etc.

P.S. Would 5/8" be good enough for the carcass with 3/4" for the shelves
and top of base?

Strength wise, yes. But why bother if you are buying 3/4 anyway?
Masochistic?