Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default So how much power does an oil filled radiator actually use.

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 08:15:34 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

On Thursday, 9 November 2017 15:18:45 UTC, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 07:12:04 -0800 (PST), whisky-dave
wrote:

snip

So are you asking why it's currently showing ~700 W or why it's
fluctuating around 700W

Yes why is a 2KW heater only drawing 700W when fully on, if it was up to temperatury I'd expect it to disconneced with a bimetalic strip or something more advanced and would be 0W not 700W.

As would I ... so it sounds like the 700W element is in all the time?

Except if you turn the knob thermostate down (anti-clockwise)then it switches off to 0W and the LEDs go out.

Sounds like it's the upper limit stat that is cutting in and out on
the bigger element (only) ... before the main stat cuts everything
out? Do you have a IR thermometer? If so it might be interesting to
see what surface temperatures these clicks and measurements apply to.

If they are keeping them I'd be inclined to open one up and make a
wiring diagram (or see if there is one in there or in the manual).

Cheers, T i m