View Single Post
  #7   Report Post  
Posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster

Default Heating system upgrade

On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 18:47:44 UTC, Chris B wrote:
On 08/11/2017 17:27, tabbypurr wrote:
On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 13:20:17 UTC, Chris B wrote:

You've not really told us what the problem is with the system yet, other than it being slow to heat due to low stat setting.

House unacceptably Slow to heat,

desludge radiator system, install magnetic/filter cleaner. Pump vanes might also be blocked with crud, clean em out. CH thermostat may need turning up..

kitchen space used by boiler could be
better used, device has never been serviced other than by previous owner
DIY.

from what you've said it sounds like the original installer was very knowledgable, I'd very much expect it has been serviced. And a service isn't costly.

New owners worried that anyone brought in to service boiler will
condemn it, as standards have no doubt changed since it was installed.

It's not room sealed, so no it's not ideal, but that doesn't make it illegal. I'd certainly have a CO alarm with it. A service involves clearing the heat exchanger as necessary, the other risk factor. Also ensure cold air ventilation is never blocked, that's necessary to avoid CO poisoning.

Diplomat details

https://www.freeboilermanuals.com/as...mat-35-921.pdf

If the heat exchanger is cast iron, a new boiler would take the system from 65% to 90%+ efficient, lowering gas bills. But you'd gain buy/fit/repair/replace repeatedly costs.

2 things must not be neglected with this old fashioned type of boiler: ventilation, and the heat exchanger being cleaned out on occasion.

NT