Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Dodgy DIY

On 07/11/2017 23:10, wrote:
On 07/11/2017 07:51, Tim Watts wrote:
On 06/11/17 19:42,
wrote:
So far, in this house I've found: CPCs wrapped under the heads of
wood screws securing a plastic pattress box,

That's quite good. Normally they are twisted together outside of a
round JB.

... snipped
I failed to say that one CPC was under one wood screw and the other was
under a second. The screws were into wood and the pattress was plastic.
There was a perfectly serviceable (but unused) earth terminal on the
switch.

The fire alarm company I worked for about 25 years ago installed alarms
and did electrical work in all the BT buildings.

They regularly encountered electrical stuff, including with mains
potential, inside nice dovetailed mahogany boxes with lots of brass
and bakelite bits and pieces.