Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The Express.

On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 16:31:16 UTC, Mark Allread wrote:
On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 08:06:51 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 8 November 2017 12:22:26 UTC, Mark Allread wrote:
On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 03:19:10 -0800, whisky-dave wrote:

On Tuesday, 7 November 2017 18:16:23 UTC, tim... wrote:
"Andrew" wrote in message
news On 07/11/2017 14:53, Mark Allread wrote:
On Tue, 07 Nov 2017 14:50:22 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Idly looked at all today's paper headlines while shopping
today.

All were about tax avoidance in one form or another.

I musty admit I get fed up with all the Tax Avoidance publicity..

Me too - lets face it, anyone who has/had an ISA or a TESSA
is/was seeking to avoid tax.

Maybe, but when I was a computer programmer with my own ltd co
working through an agency, it never occurred to me that I could
send my money to Mauritious and then 'lend' it back to me free of
tax, with no obligation to pay it back, and escape the notice of
HMRC.

you may not have done but there were several schemes marketed at
people just like you and many took advantage of it

Most, if not all were unwound by HMRC and the people concerned got
large tax bills to pay.

However, it would never escape the notice of my accountant, so how
come Mrs Browns 'boys' get away with it ?.

you just employ a different accountant

yes it's strange that only those that can afford very expensive
accountant can afford to aviod tax. Backhanders to certain people
spring to mind.

No. See above: TESSA, ISA, Duty Free, and I do not nor have ever had
an accountant.

Other measures that can be put in place are ways to avoid Inheritance
Tax. Again its not complicated and no accountant is needed.

So why are they hired by the rich ?

Perhaps because the wealthy are too busy/not skilled enough to look into
options for themselves and consider it is worth them employing someone to
look into it for them[+]. I dunno but I do know that I can/have taken
legally permitted steps to mitigate my tax liability. Anyone who does
not is an idiot.

[+] I use a gardener from time to time because his hourly rate is less
than my hourly rate. I could do the garden myself but it is not worth my
time/cost to do so.

I do not have an accountant/bookkeeper or whatever as I can do those
things myself and it effectively costs me less to do so. Were I far
wealthier then I may decide my time is worth more than hiring someone to
do it for me (gardener, above).

I expect that a large number of people who need to will have various tax
avoidance measures in place without seeking advice from an accountant or
tax lawyer.

I'm surprised if you don't for example.

I've got an ISA, but I didn't know I could save £3million on a jet by claiming I was only using it for buisness and not for pleasure. I didnlt know that if I took my girlfriend on the said plane to an island for a holiday I could call it a business trip, did you klnow that ?
Did yuo klnow that if you set upm a busness on a 'tax haven' and send money to it you can then lend that money back and it's not clessed as income ?

So why doesn't everyone do that ?