Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default towel rad - leaking from bottom valve tail fixing

On 07/11/2017 12:44, Dave wrote:
replying to Spamlet, Dave wrote:
I'm having the same problem as the original poster. Got some Aluminium
Designer Vertical Radiators, no matter what I do, I cannot stop the
tails from
leaking. I have tried regular PTFE Tape, Gas PTFE Tape, Joint Compound and
Fernox Sealer. I have even tried types of tails, including extendable ones
that have a short thread but a rubber seal on the end, thinking this will
surely nail it but to no avail. A frustrating and costly mistake buying

Is the leak from the threaded part of the tail that goes into the rad,
or when it joins the rad valve?

If its from the threaded section, then only way I can see all those
methods failing is if you are not tightening them sufficiently. The tail
sections are usually a tapered thread, and so need to be tight enough to
bottom out in the socket and compress the sealing tape etc enough to
make a proper seal.

--
Cheers,

John.