Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bitrex Bitrex is offline

Default Nice antique store find

On 11/07/2017 07:30 PM, tom wrote:
"bitrex" wrote in message
Picked this up at an antique store in Providence, RI over the weekend:

https://imgur.com/a/AH0k7

International Radio Corp Kadette 52 tabletop tombstone radio. The
enclosure is in OK shape given the age but the electronics chassis looks
immaculate; looks like the original set of tubes and has never been worked
on. Power and output transformers both test good on my bench. Paid $40
cash.

http://web.eecs.umich.edu/~srs/Antiques/templ.php?pid=147&collection=Radios

You did good. What does it require for power?

It looks like a basically standard but early line-powered All American
5-type design. 6A8 oscillator/converter, 6K7 IF amp, 6J7 detector/first
audio, 6F6 audio output, 5Z4 rectifier. It has a power xfmr with a 5
volt winding for the rectifier tube, and also for the 6 volt tubes and
B+ unlike the later AA5s that used series string heaters.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hygkhrwgg7io66i/IMG_20171107_225220458.jpg?dl=0

In my unit everything is a metal enclosure type tube; the 6A8, 6K7, and
6J7 have their signal grid connection on a cap on the top:

https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6j7.html

Original price in 1935 said to be $30 on the above site; there's no
dedicated RF amp so I'm guessing this was the "budget" model.

Schematic:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel/542/M0009542.pdf

Actually looking at the schematic I don't think the can capacitor in
mine is original; it looks newer than the rest of the set and is a
double 8uF unit rather than triple 6uF as specified. It was probably
replaced at some point, looks like it might be from the late 40s or 1950s?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/omibj7mvffk835t/IMG_20171107_225224021.jpg?dl=0