Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default firearms caliber question (serious)

Speaking of pellets...PS: The only things I have fired a
22 (why not 20 or 25?)
38 (why not 35 or 40?)
177 pellet (why not 175 or 200 or even 180?)
9mm (because 8 was too small and 10 was too big?)

Fairly common pellet sizes (badmiton birdie style) are

..177, .22, 5mm, .20, and .25

I happen to own .177, .22 and .25 pellet guns. Now there are a vast array
of larger pellets, although is it fair to call a .45 that delivers enough
energy to hunt big game a "pellet." LOL. Even my .25 delivers about 45 ft
lbs of energy at the muzzle, with a proper pellet. Some .25s are tuned much
hotter exceeding the energy of .22 long rifle cartridges, but with much
heavier "pellets". More bullets really. There are big bore "pellet" guns
that deliver as much energy (or more) as a 45 ACP pistol does.

Now one might argue about accuracy, but its easily possible at modest
ranges. With no wind one of my .22 air guns has delivered golf ball sized
groups at 135 yards with hand selected pellets. (lasered for range) Never
mind the hold over... HA!

There. Thread-JACKED!

LOL