Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Dodgy DIY

In article ,
charles wrote:
You certain this was all DIY? I've seen the same and worse done by
those being paid to do it.

In our village hall, I had to work on the new extractor fan - couldn't
find the isolator - so killed the RCD , The asked where the isolator was
"Oh, it pluuged into an extension strip underneath the kicking board for
the nearest cupboard."

My brother has countless stories like this about his church. And all the
work has been done by accredited tradesmen.

A spark has been fitting a new consumer unit for my semi-detached
neighbour this morning. The noise was horrendous, sounded like
he was demolishing a wall.

Got to talk to him later and he gave the usual bull**** about
Wylex rewireable fuse boards being 'dangerous' and 'illegal'
but he soon backed down when I corrected him.

She works for the council so he will be a 'council-approved'
tradesman.

From what he was saying, it sounds like he has knocked a block
or two out of the party wall (cavity wall with a 1 inch cavity)
and inset the metal box (I'll check later) into it above the
original wylex metal box which holds the company fuse, meter
and the 8 rewirable fuses above it. This too is built into the
party wall, back to back with mine, but what was acceptable in 1976
is no longeer the case. Surely insetting electrical stuff into
a party wall is no longer allowed ?.

Mine in on the other side of the wall and there is a pad of
heavy duty rockwool stuff separating them for soundproof
purposes.

However, you can only re-plaster or chase out a party wall
without contravening the party wall act, and he either
doesn't know (fairly youngish chap) or didn't care.