Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default combi with existing tank question

On 06/11/2017 22:03, wrote:
On Mon, 6 Nov 2017 20:27:05 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

On 06/11/2017 12:57,
wrote:

Firstly the link to Ed's boiler page in the FAQ seems to point to a
dud url.

Which link?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...design#Boilers

Ta, fixed!

Yup you could do that. Alternatively just fit a system boiler instead of
a combi. (its basically like a combi with internal pump and all that,
but lacks the DHW bit).

Yes I now favour this...

(you can even get traditional vented "heat only" boilers if you wanted
something closer to a drop in replacement)

...over this because it gives the benefits of a sealed system whilst
keeping the DHW tank. I initially liked the combi approach because the
pipe work from the kitchen looked so much simpler.

Taking the point TNP made the bottom of the system is already 20ft
below the F&E tank so if the system pressure stays below 2 bar it's
not a great increase.

Indeed. My feelings on this are if something springs a leak on
conversion to sealed, it was going to be pretty close to failure anyway,
so at worst you have probably only brought it forward a few months.

--
Cheers,

John.