Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default combi with existing tank question

On 06/11/2017 12:57, wrote:

Firstly the link to Ed's boiler page in the FAQ seems to point to a
dud url.

Which link?

I re-hosted most of Ed's FAQs on the wiki some while back after his site
went down:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Boiler_choice_FAQ

A 24kW combi will fit in the kitchen and as there is no running water
upstairs, plumbed to the adjacent bathroom. There are only 5 radiators
in the house so the valves can be replaced by TRVs on all except the
one in the living room where the thermostat can be.

What she doesn't like the sound of is losing her supply of DHW from
the vented tank with its secondary heating by immersion. I have
suggested using a local firm offering a 7 year warranty on the combi
which may well see her out, at which stage the property would be a
candidate for a rebuild.

What I did wonder is rather than remove all the vented system could a
separate zone from the combi run through the DHW water tank coil, the
tank and cold water feed in the loft left in place? Then a separate
DHW tap in the bath would provide hot water back up, the combi just
being plumbed to the shower head?

Yup you could do that. Alternatively just fit a system boiler instead of
a combi. (its basically like a combi with internal pump and all that,
but lacks the DHW bit).

(you can even get traditional vented "heat only" boilers if you wanted
something closer to a drop in replacement)

--
Cheers,

John.