Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Neon light for AC outlet tester.

On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 22:36:43 -0800, "David Farber"
wrote:

I have one of those polarity/line/ground checker plugs. It has three lamps
that illuminate according to the condition of the 120VAC outlet. The neon
light that illuminates indicating a good ground is not lighting up anymore.
Will this replacement neon light work properly for this application?

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...C2A-ND/3150384
There is a 68k resistor in series with the lamp. What does the breakdown
voltage indicate?
http://www.vcclite.com/_pdf/Neon%20I...amps_7_&_8.pdf

A picture of a similar tester is here.
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=3099752

The common NE-2 neon lamp will work just fine. I've never bothered to
tear one apart so I don't know what's inside. Looks like there are
different design schemes:
http://www.giangrandi.ch/electronics/neon/simple.html
http://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/information-about-electric-tester-circuit.132363/#post-1104807
http://www.marcspages.co.uk/pq/4511.htm
http://www.electro-tech-online.com/attachments/sch-1a-png.87460/

I doubt that the NE-2 lamp is the problem. My guess(tm) is something
fell apart or came loose inside. Probably a bad crimp.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D