Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default That's todays job cancelled

On Mon, 06 Nov 2017 13:39:41 +0000, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

T i m wrote:

Just as she should have come to a halt (releasing
the throttle and using the 'electric brake' (shorted motor)), her
muscle memory from cycling kicked in and she squeezed the throttle
thinking it was a brake.

The UK arrangement for trains of the Master Controller handle
moving forward for brake and back for power is the exact opposite
of UIC(1) requirements.

Ok.

This is the most probably explanation for a collision with a
static vehicle involving a British Electrostar unit on the Czech
Republic test track. From the recorded data, at the point when
braking should have been initiated, power was taken. The local
driver must have unthinkingly reverted to his usual technique.

Interesting (from a UI POV). ;-)

I had similar when I bought a Royal Enfield Bullet (350). I never rode
any 'old British iron' so had no previous experience with having the
(foot) gears on the right and the foot brake on the left with
anything.

So, whilst I could generally 'manage', it was far from intuitive as my
left foot was only used to short / binary actions (clicking up and
down gears) and my right foot was only used to pushing down and in
analogue to apply the brakes. I finally sold it because I started
taking our daughter pillion and I was concerned that in an 'emergency'
situation, any and even fractions of seconds of delays or lack of
finesse on the controls could have a bad outcome. ;-(

(1) UIC - Union Internationale des Chemins de fer

Cheers, T i m