Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Disposing of old petrol (or diesel for that matter)

On Sat, 04 Nov 2017 16:56:33 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 04/11/17 16:42, David wrote:
As part of the ongoing clear up I have a small amount of petrol in a
green can. It is old (probably from when we had a petrol lawnmower).

I've just looked up the details of how to dispose of it and it seems to
be classes as a "hazardous waste" which is not handled by the local
recycling centre.

Just put it in your car and add 50 liters of new fuel.

As others have said, perhaps not the best plan for a diesel.

I have read that after a few years petrol should no longer be used even in
lawn mowers. Volatile fractions evaporating, gums and varnishes forming
etc. There is only a small amount in the can so plenty of opportunity for
stuff to evaporate.

The only petrol powered device I have (that works) is a little Honda
generator and I have a full can of fresh petrol for that so I don't see
any benefit in feeding old petrol (which may even have 2 stroke added - no
idea how long I have had it) through it just to save a few pence.

I don't run it very often so I will have enough problems feeding the new
stuff through.

Burning at arms length or just evaporating seems favourite. No plans to
lose my eyebrows.

Cheers

Dave R

---