Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] philipuk@gmail.com is offline

Default Help me understand power banks.

On Saturday, November 4, 2017 at 9:39:53 PM UTC, newshound wrote:
On 04/11/2017 14:50, tim... wrote:
I have (elsewhere) previous been recommended to buy a power bank to uses
as an emergency back up for my portable devices.

Which, because I have a candy bar phone with a standby time of 3 weeks,
means my tablet and camera.

I was in a shop today, saw one on sale with "for smartphones and
tablets" at a reasonable price and bought it

but after I looked at the back it said output 5V 1A.

Oh!

ISTR that when I bought my in-car USB charger I got one for phones and
had to take it back and get a higher rated one for Tablets.Â* And even
then, one of my tabs reports that it isn't powerful enough to "charge"
the device, though experimentation shows that it does keep it operating
for a bit longer.Â* Plugging my camera in and it doesn't even notice that
there's a charge there.

So I went into all the other shops in the high street to see what they
had (lest I should want to take the purchase back whist I was still
there) and all of them, with one single exception were output 5V 1A,
that exception was fugging expensive and more importantly 3 times the
dimensions and 10 times the weight of the one that I had bought.Â* I
particularly wanted a small, lightweight, fits in your pocket example.

Back home I looked at my plug in the wall USB chargers, which I
(successfully) use interchangeably on all my devices and one says output
5V 2A and the other output 5V 1A.

What's going on here?

what rating do I need to charge my device(s)

I did a quick Google to see if I could find out and found "5 Key Things
To Know When Buying A Power Bank" and one of them is "When you buy a
portable power bank, make sure that it can charge the battery of a
specific device" Yeah, I know that?Â* But how do I find out what that
requirement is - I came here expecting that you were going to tell me as
the manufactures of these devices keep it as secret as the coca cola
recipe (I have been online and downloaded the full specs).

So the item in question is still in its unopened box with all the seals
intact (as it's from one of these shops that aren't the best for taking
stuff back to).Â* do I take it back and seek out a more powerful one, or
open it and try it, and risk the shop refusing my returning it?

tim

I have a slightly smaller one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANNKE-10000...nke+power+pack

Mine is 8000 mAh, and will happily jump start a small petrol car with a
completely flat battery. Also has a small torch. Essentially the same
size as my Moto G4, in its flip case.

Doesn't look like it supports Qualcomm Quick Charge though so would charge many phones very slowly (E.g. My G4 gets an 80% charge in 30 minutes with the quick charger). I would be suspicious of that one as the name is a bit too close to a real Anker power bank. Wonder if it actually has an 8000mAH battery in it.

Philip