Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian-Gaff Brian-Gaff is offline

Default Help me understand power banks.

Well, you can have a higher current for a short time or a lower current for
a longer time, and hence you won't get a good battery that is lightweight if
you need it to charge or power something for a significantly long time. This
is the one problem with batteries I suppose.Also not every bit of kit will
charge faster than its allowed to, look What happened when Samsung made
their phone charge faster on sub standard batteries.
Personally I'd take it back and get a larger device, something that maybe
you wear as a belt with more oomph behind it, as long as your devices can
charge faster, otherwise its not really going to make a lot of difference.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"tim..." wrote in message
news
I have (elsewhere) previous been recommended to buy a power bank to uses as
an emergency back up for my portable devices.

Which, because I have a candy bar phone with a standby time of 3 weeks,
means my tablet and camera.

I was in a shop today, saw one on sale with "for smartphones and tablets"
at a reasonable price and bought it

but after I looked at the back it said output 5V 1A.

Oh!

ISTR that when I bought my in-car USB charger I got one for phones and had
to take it back and get a higher rated one for Tablets. And even then,
one of my tabs reports that it isn't powerful enough to "charge" the
device, though experimentation shows that it does keep it operating for a
bit longer. Plugging my camera in and it doesn't even notice that there's
a charge there.

So I went into all the other shops in the high street to see what they had
(lest I should want to take the purchase back whist I was still there) and
all of them, with one single exception were output 5V 1A, that exception
was fugging expensive and more importantly 3 times the dimensions and 10
times the weight of the one that I had bought. I particularly wanted a
small, lightweight, fits in your pocket example.

Back home I looked at my plug in the wall USB chargers, which I
(successfully) use interchangeably on all my devices and one says output
5V 2A and the other output 5V 1A.

What's going on here?

what rating do I need to charge my device(s)

I did a quick Google to see if I could find out and found "5 Key Things To
Know When Buying A Power Bank" and one of them is "When you buy a portable
power bank, make sure that it can charge the battery of a specific device"
Yeah, I know that? But how do I find out what that requirement is - I
came here expecting that you were going to tell me as the manufactures of
these devices keep it as secret as the coca cola recipe (I have been
online and downloaded the full specs).

So the item in question is still in its unopened box with all the seals
intact (as it's from one of these shops that aren't the best for taking
stuff back to). do I take it back and seek out a more powerful one, or
open it and try it, and risk the shop refusing my returning it?

tim