Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Disposing of old petrol (or diesel for that matter)

As part of the ongoing clear up I have a small amount of petrol in a green
can. It is old (probably from when we had a petrol lawnmower).

I've just looked up the details of how to dispose of it and it seems to be
classes as a "hazardous waste" which is not handled by the local recycling
centre.

"Hazardous waste collection

A special hazardous waste collection can be arranged for items including
paints, oils, weed/pest killers and other hazardous household waste. There
is a minimum charge of £45.60 for this service.

Collection, treatment and disposal costs of hazardous waste are expensive
for the council (approx. £80 per collection). For this reason, residents
are urged to follow the advice as set out in these pages and to use this
service only when absolutely necessary."

O.K. I have always thought that it is crazy to charge a high price for
disposal of asbestos because that just encourages people to dump it.

To effectively charge £45.60 to dispose of a litre of old petrol or a
spray bottle of weed killer will just mean that the waste product is
dumped. Nobody is going to detect a bit of Roundup (for example) flushed
down the sewers. Petrol might be a bit of a give away by the smell.

My current thought is to (very carefully) mix the petrol with sawdust and
light it from a safe distance in the garden log burner thingie
(mmmm....flames!!). Or just mix it with a bit of cat litter then let it
evaporate into the atmosphere then chuck the dry remains. Much as you are
advised to do with paint.

My general complaint is that making it almost impossible to dispose of
fairly common household or garden waste does little if anything to protect
the environment.

Quite the contrary.

Cheers

Dave R