Posted to sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default How to tighten round nut on swtich?

In sci.electronics.repair, on Tue, 31 Oct 2017 16:53:52 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Tuesday, 31 October 2017 20:58:06 UTC, rickman wrote:
tabbypurr wrote on 10/29/2017 6:53 AM:
On Friday, 27 October 2017 04:58:51 UTC+1, micky wrote:
In sci.electronics.repair, on Thu, 26 Oct 2017 21:01:17 -0400, rickman
wrote:

John Robertson wrote on 10/26/2017 2:39 PM:
On 2017/10/25 7:02 PM, micky wrote:
In sci.electronics.repair, on Wed, 25 Oct 2017 21:26:58 -0400, rickman
wrote:

micky wrote on 10/25/2017 9:15 PM:

The cloth is more to protect the surface of the panel the switch is mounted
to than to protect the knurled round nut you are trying to tighten.

I'm not sure what that means. It will protect whatever you put it over. I
use a cloth when tightening plumbing hardware that often is chrome plated.
That can require some heavy tools and a cloth works great as long as it is
not too thin and tears.

I'm glad you reminded me about that, because it's been a long time since
prior experiences. It was in high school I think that I changed a
washer or two in the bathroom and I used a fairl heavy cloth, but
squeezed too hard and scratched the chrome. I think it was only a
little, but memory plays tricks on mpeople. And it didn't tear the
cloth but it still scratched, and that surprised me.

cloth isn't good for such things, as it's full of holes and most cloth collapses very easily. Card is better.

Whatever. I use pieces of old jeans and have not had any problems. Denim
is good stuff for many uses.

yes - denim is not of course like most cloth.
It's good for cleaning soldering iron tips too.

One time I polished plastic with it. Probably easier ways but it was a
circle about an inch in diameter and I got the scraches out just rubbing
it on my thigh.

NT