Posted to sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Does a clock radio use more power in the aux mode than off mode?

In sci.electronics.repair, on Wed, 1 Nov 2017 13:54:46 -0700 (PDT),
" wrote:

Wallwarts are pointless to regulate.

Agreed. I once, for giggles, did a full survey of "Vampire" loads in our house - a 3-story, 4,200 s.f. center-hall colonial built in 1890, with the usual assortment of items, LED clocks, wall-warts, stand-by systems and more.

Came in at 59 watts, or nearly-so.

59 x 24 x 365/1000 x 0.14 = $72.36. Annually. $6.03 per month.

That you can afford to pay it does not mean it's not a waste.

If it were $1000/month but you were a billionaire, would you think that
was not waste?

Muliply it by the 2 million people who live near you, or the 300 million
people who live in the US.

For which I do not have to re-calibrate the televisions, re-program the tuners, reset any clocks, reprogram the boiler settings, reset the alarm clocks and much more (or less, as it happens, to be done). Yes, in some cases I need to do this after a sustained power failure, but we get blessedly few of those since Sandy (6 days).

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

---
http://www.avg.com