Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default Rewiring an old projector - add an earth cable?

Well you could say this about lots of equipment with metal bodies, but they
still only have two core leads. I'm not going to go into the whole double
insulated theory here though. I think in the case of a bog standard
projector it might not matter either way, though the case of some things
can get a small electrostatic charge on them if there is not earth, you can
feel the buzz with running a very light finger along the case.
The main annoyance with all projectors is that the bulbs only seem to last
until you need to show some slides to someone important.....
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"D.M. Procida" wrote in
message
I'm going to rewire an old, old 35mm projector, a Picturol Model Q - one
of these:
https://img0.etsystatic.com/054/0/7703457/il_570xN.744183042_m3td.jpg.

It was wired with a two-core flex, but since the body is metal I wonder
whether it would be better to rewire it with three, earthing the metal
body.

The flex connects directly to the terminals of the lamp socket; if the
live connection were to work loose I could imagine it making contact
with the body of the projector.

Daniele