Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH[_7_] dadiOH[_7_] is offline

Default Gate Slide Bolt into masonry?

"EB" m wrote in message
I have a vinyl gate on the side of my house. I didn't put a post against
the
side of the house, to save width, because I need to fit a 6 foot wide boat
through the opening. The second post would have made that impossible.
Now I'm trying to put a slide bolt on the gate to lock it in place, but is
my
only option to put the bolt into the masonry (the brick on the side of my
house)?

Is there a best practice for this? A sleeve I can put in the masonry to
keep
it sealed? Or an alternative bolt I can use?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

You could just drill the hole in the masonry and use that with or without a
bushing. Alternatively, you could mount a piece of wood on the masonry so
the gate closes against it, then mount the bolt so it can enter a hole in
the wood.