C G

Default Any risk in buying a house with finished basement without permit-Please advise

"Trent©" wrote:

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 20:43:54 GMT, C G
wrote:

The tax assesor does not care how you use the room. They care if it
could function as a bedroom. Are you sure it is not listed as a
bedroom?

If they don't care how you use the room, why would they care if it can
function as a bedroom?

Because that is part of the way they price houses.

They are classified as how you use them. Why would you think
otherwise?

You are simply wrong on this. No matter how many times you say it you
will still be wrong. I cannot reduce the number of bedrooms in my house
by merely not using a room as a bedroom. You can continue to delude
yourself, but you will not delude the tax assesor. Perhaps an older
house which has bedrooms without closets could have this happen, but not
a typical house built in the last 30 or 40 years.

If I am 'simply wrong', how can there be any 'perhaps'? lol

There are millions of homes that are over 40 years old. On my block
along, there are 30 homes that are over 100 years old.

And millions more that are newer than 40 years old.

But if you have a full-size bed in a room, its pretty much an
indication that you expect someone to sleep in it...ergo, its a
bedroom.

And a lack of a bed does not magically make it not a bedroom.

I think you've got your mindset inside that 30 year old house. Take a
tour sometime of a 100 year old house. Those get appraised, too.

And the appraisers still can figure out which room is a bedroom,
regardless of whether it has a bed or not.

The BEGINNING test for a bedroom is...is the primary purpose of that
room to have someone sleep in it. Then more logical testing is done.

Talk to a tax assessor or appraiser some time. I think you will find
that your test is misguided.

Again...I think you're thinking of only the newer homes...half or full
bath built next to a room large enough to accommodate a bed. Pretty
much defines the room, doesn't it.

But rooms in older homes aren't as definitive.

Whatever. Continue to delude yourself if you want. The tax person is
more than capable of figuring it out.