Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default P0171, P0174 and scan tool readings

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 31 Oct 2017 07:36:56 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 10:09:19 AM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
micky wrote:
That's good. There must have been some vacuum leak, and I suppose it
will reappear**.

Right. And as someone else here pointed out, it's likely on the intake
gaskets because they are a known problem on those engines.

I assume you read that Toyota tech bulletin that Clare provided? It applied
to a very specific leak, at the shaft on the throttle body or air volume
control, whatever you choose to call it. Did you check there?

I checked everywhere.

And I did read the TSB, and it is exactly my codes and my model car, but
it also provided a list of VINs, of Production Change Effective VIN, a
term I don't understand.

But still I think mine isn't in the list. The 4th character and
everything except the last 3 after that was different, so I figure it
doesn't apply to me.

It listed Camry 4T1BA3#K*4u502118
Solara 4T1CA3#K*4u017744

And I'm Solara 4T1FA38P55U044744

However I did spray carb cleaner where they said to, and nothing
happened. I'd already tried propane all around there.

What I should do is use the scan tool to get the same sort of readings
when it's working right, and maybe I can find one or more values that
are different from when it was working wrong, and maybe if/when it
starts working wrong again, someone can sit in the car watching just
that/those values, and when I fiddle with the right hose, or blast the
right 02/fuel sensor, he's see the change and tell me.

That tech bulletin said to watch short term fuel trim while doing the
spray test.

I gather that if the codes are cleared, when the code is set again, many
scan tools including mine will take a freeze frame. But that's not the
same as spraying and having the fuel trim change. How does a person
notice that when he's alone? Put the scanner on the dash facing out?

Anyhow, I'm going for a longer drive now with the scan tool attached.