Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED v CFL bulbs

On Saturday, 28 October 2017 05:35:59 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 26 October 2017 22:56:18 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"whisky-dave" wrote in message
On Thursday, 26 October 2017 17:52:08 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 21:34:10 +0100, ARW
wrote:

On 24/10/2017 02:45, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Mon, 23 Oct 2017 12:55:04 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Johnny B Good wrote:
On Sun, 22 Oct 2017 01:28:42 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

====snip====

I found the filament style 60W equiv lamps
to be very good a true match for light output and a pretty good
CRI.

That'll be on account the 806Lm lamps "Wattage" rating is
based
on
the
more efficient American 120v 750 hour tungsten filament lamp
type
than
on our less efficient UK 240v 1000 hour lamp type.

It's taken quite a few years longer than promised by Cree but
we're
finally seeing LED lamps with efficiencies above the best on
offer
of
81Lm per watt of the past five years now raised to somewhere in
the
region of 120 to 130Lm per watt.

I'd think most know an LED is more efficient than tungsten. My
problem
is buying one which says it is a 100 watt equivalent only to find
it
is
not -
and noticeably so.

If I'm happy with a particular light level/quality, that's what I
want
of any replacement, since it is the primary purpose of a light..
Seems
me many think saving money is the primary purpose of a light. In
which
case leave it switched off. ;-)

When CFLs first became available, the savings in running costs
compared
to tungsten filament lighting was the main selling point,
especially
true
in locations such as hallways and landings where, for safety as
much
as
convenience, it would be preferable to leave those lights switched
on
between dusk and bedtime.

Preferable to who? What safety?

What's wrong with a light switch in a convenient position to turn
them
on and off when needed?

You might trip over trying to find the lightswitch, especially if
elderly or infirm.

Not if you have movement sensors instead of light switches.

Then other things can turn them on like pets,

Not when you position them properly and have the right type of movement
sensor.

Another reason not to have them.

reams of your troll**** flushed where it belongs

you're too thick to even understand the basics.

Sure, but when its clear that something is up, you may well want
to have a look yourself too, without the house lights coming on.

True, hopefully I'd have an app on my phone for viewing .

Pity it costs much more to have complete camera coverage.

Most can work out where to put cameras, and the footage recorded for viewing later by the police if need be.
And it does cost a lot to have full coverage as it does to have all doors on maglocks, which is why so few do it, more people have cameras than have maglocks.

if I were bothing with sensors switching on lights that is.

Why fart around with manual switches at all anymore ?

Because they are still more practical for most.

Like hell they are.

fun gimmicks for a while but teh novelety soon wares off.
Those phillips hues are OK pretty dim as lights go, you should actually try them, compared to normal bulbs the light level is pretty low and at the price they are they are mostly just a gimmick.

Here we have a new building with auto lights.
Trouble is at night going into the toilet it;s dark,
until after you enter then the lights flicker on

Not with led lights they dont.

Yes they do.

as they use a sensor inside and not on the door, so
the lights don't come on until you are in the toilet,

So its ****ed by design. No surprise you lot couldnt
even manage to get a system that isnt ****ed by design.

you don't realy want the touilet lights coming on when studetns are outsoide queueing to get in the lecture room what would be the point of that ?

That's one problem of these great idea, they don't solve the problem just mask it.

OK when you;re used to it and know, otherwise
you g=have to stand there until the lights come on.

And you dont have to when its not
****ed by design. I never have to.

How does it know you want the light on ?
This is why they don't use such things for street lighting, you don't want to be driving down a road and have the street lights come on after you pass them.
Most peole want t alight on before they enter a roomn and that is why most light switches are located by the doorway so you can switch the light on as the first action after opening the door.

So a tweeking of sensors of having them operate when you open
the door, rather than wait until you have walked in would be better.

And even a terminal ****wit such as yourself should be able manage
that in your own home,

I have the inteligence to use an on off switch when I need to, I don;t need some sensor to tell me, I can work out whether or not I need a light on and how bright I want it all by myself.

you can't as the circut takes time to activate and it doesnlt until you enter the room. if someone was actually stupid enough to
lend you a seeing eye dog and a white cane, again, troll****.

you're troll **** flushed where it belongs.