Posted to rec.woodworking

Default bamboo vs teak for outdoor project

On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 18:52:16 -0500, Unquestionably Confused
wrote:

On 10/30/2017 6:16 PM, wrote:
I need about 10' of 3/4 x 2" stock to trim a couple of patio tables. Considering the cost and difficulty of finding teak, does anyone have an idea of the durability of bamboo? I'm a "build it and forget it" type -- not interested in maintenance.

Eco-Friendly

Bamboo is a much more environmentally friendly building material than
hardwood. As you probably know, many of the Earth’s forests have been
destroyed by harvesting wood, which is one reason hardwood has become
increasingly expensive over the past 10 years.

Most commercial teak is plantation-grown. Blew your cred on one
count.

Bamboo is responsibly
harvested and the grass can regenerate itself in as little as 3-5 years.
Compare that to hardwood trees which can take up to 50 years to
regenerate and you can see why bamboo is the more eco-friendly decking
material.
More Affordable

Many people choose the look of exotic hardwoods like cherry

Cherry? Exotic? Blew your cred on two counts.

and teak for
their decking,

Who in their right mind would use cherry for "decking"? For an indoor
floor sure, but for "decking"? Blew your cred on three counts. Per
Ian Fleming, once is happenstance, twice is circumstance, three times
is enemy action--I'm done with this post.

remainder of sales pitch for bamboo trimmed