Posted to rec.woodworking
Electric Comet Electric Comet is offline

Default paneling versus drywall

On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 18:25:59 -0700 (PDT)
" wrote:

the finish you see in houses today. Not much thinking required. As
for replacing lath and plaster. Have you ever seen old time lath and
plaster? Wooden strips overlapped and nailed on the wall and filled
with lots and lots of mud plaster. Lot of work involved. Much

i have seen wood lath and metal lath like a coarse screen put it on
with a staple hammer in very little time

i imagine now they can spray on the plaster but maybe it is the finish
that is the hard part

but they may have solved that problem too with advanced materials
in other words it flows on easier and behaves uniformly

easier to screw a 4'x8' sheet of drywall to the wall. Or 4x12 or
4x16 sheet. I think drywall comes in 4.5 and 5 foot widths too. You
can cover a hell of a lot of area in minutes with drywall. Boom.
Done. Kind of like using a roller instead of a paint brush to paint
a wall. Drywall is damned efficient.

it does not seem that efficient to me with all the steps involved just
to get to the paint stage