Posted to alt.home.repair

Default The Americans who can't read

On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 17:25:04 +0000, Bod wrote:

On 30/10/2017 15:03, wrote:
On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 07:52:54 +0000, Bod wrote:

How come a great country like America has so many in this day and age!?

The US has more citizens who are illiterate - some 16 million people -
than many of its developed counterparts. Why is that?
Many complain that the system fails those who need extra help and there
is a big disparity between rich and poor areas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-u...who-can-t-read

As long as we have a culture that believes you make better money being
a gangster drug dealer (or just sucking down welfare checks) than you
do getting a real job, education will not be important to that sector
of the population, no matter how much money we throw at it.

But I thought the report said that without education, that they would
find it hard to get a job. Surely every kid should go to school.
Our parents get fined if their kids miss more than a few days off
without a decent excuse, like being ill etc.

So unless UK parents choose to home school them, then fines are imposed
for non attendance.
Also UK parents aren't allowed to take the kids on holiday during term
time, that would rack up another fine.

What do you do if one parent is in prison and the other is a crack
whore? We are dealing with families who are 3d even 4th generation
welfare recipients with many having a criminal record or presently
serving time.
They can't remember anyone in their family who really had a career,
just odd jobs that pay less than welfare. ... or they are making $500
a day slinging crack.
Neither really makes you want to learn algebra.