Posted to alt.home.repair
Bod[_3_] Bod[_3_] is offline

Default The Americans who can't read

On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 17:25:04 -0000, Bod wrote:

On 30/10/2017 15:03, wrote:
On Mon, 30 Oct 2017 07:52:54 +0000, Bod wrote:

How come a great country like America has so many in this day and age!?

The US has more citizens who are illiterate - some 16 million people -
than many of its developed counterparts. Why is that?
Many complain that the system fails those who need extra help and there
is a big disparity between rich and poor areas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-u...who-can-t-read

As long as we have a culture that believes you make better money being
a gangster drug dealer (or just sucking down welfare checks) than you
do getting a real job, education will not be important to that sector
of the population, no matter how much money we throw at it.

But I thought the report said that without education, that they would
find it hard to get a job. Surely every kid should go to school.
Our parents get fined if their kids miss more than a few days off
without a decent excuse, like being ill etc.

Which is insane.* The child is the parents' responsibility and not the
government's.* How well it gets educated is nothing to do with the
government, what we have in the UK is we're creating offspring which
belong to the state.* Everyone should tell them to **** off and home
school.

So unless UK parents choose to home school them, then fines are imposed
for non attendance.

I can't see that working.* Some kids truant.* They will always do so,
you can't fine the parent once they've got to the school.* You also
can't expect a family with two working parents to drive them there.* If
the child walks to school but ****s off somewhere on the way, that is
not the parents' fault.

Also UK parents aren't allowed to take the kids on holiday during term
time, that would rack up another fine.

We used to, many of my friends did so when I were a lad.* Cheaper time
of year or better weather.* What ****ing business is it of the
government when people take holidays?* My friends simply got notes form
the teachers of classes they missed and read up on them at home later.

It wasn't he law when you were a tearaway.

--
Bod