Rogue Petunia

Default top floor radiators are hot on bottom, cold on top

Hi Kjpro,
height from the feed water regulator valve on the boiler system up to
the heighest radiator is 28 feet.

My Watts Regulator spec sheet says to calculate pressure, take this
height, multiply by .43 and add 3 pounds. That comes out to 15.04.
Pressure is set at 15 pounds.

What would happen if I increase the pressure beyond what is required?
Would it force the water to rise to the top of the heighest radiator?

I read the "glug-glug sound in hot water baseboard" thread you pointed
to. Thanks. Though I get the point that it just may take a while to
get the air out, a few things are different in my scenario.

1. I don't have baseboard radiators. I have the old fashioned
classic upright radiators from the turn of the century.

2. I do not have a pump.

Specifically, in one of Bubba's responses he said stuff that sounded
like some good tricks of the trade : "Try bleeding with the pump off
first. If that dont work, try with the pump running. Try
changing/raising the water pressure. You can also try rigging a piece
of tubing to the vent fitting and run it to a tub or floor drain or
outside and just let it purge wide open for a while."

I don't have a pump to try running. And here's a real layman's
question - Does an upright radiator have a vent fitting? Is the vent
fitting where the bleeder is screwed in?

If so, I cannot drain water from my radiators in that fashion because
the bleeders are at the top of the upright radiators. And that is
where I don't have any water.

And I have no glug glug noise.

Thanks,
Rogue Petunia

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 06:23:41 GMT, "kjpro" ( kjpro @ starband . com )
see-my-sig-for-e-mail wrote:

Keep bleeding the radiators till water comes out.

What the max height from the boiler to the top of the highest radiator?

ps. we went over this a couple of weeks ago, google it.
(it has a lot of good info in it)