Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Lowes will begin selling Craftsman products

On 10/29/2017 2:48 PM, wrote:

As long as the quality and lifetime warranty is preserved, it's a
win-win.

I used my FIL's Craftman electric weed-eater. It was "designed to
break" (my quotes!), so it did. I replaced it under Craftsman's
"lifetime warranty" and it promply broke --again!-- within 1 min.
Izzat what you would qualify as "quality"?

Craftman has NEVER had "quality". Broke my 10mm Craftman combo wrench
not too long after learning about Snap-On quality. The closest Sears
store was 100 mi away. The Snap-On (Bonney?) jes never bothered to
break. That's "quality".

When I started my apprenticeship as a mechanic I bought my Craftsman
starter set and a classmate bought "snap-off" at over twice the price.
He had replaced over half of his before he finished his
apprenticeship, while I had almost all of my original set over 20
years later.
nb

I have Craftsman that I bought 53 years ago. I don't use them like you
did, but they were great for a backyard mechanic and homeowner. I'd not
buy the new ones though, they were cheapened years ago.

Of course years ago you could take apart virtually everything on the car
with just a 1/2" and 9/16" open end and box wrench. Then then furriners
started that metric stuff.