Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default P0171, P0174 and scan tool readings

On Sat, 28 Oct 2017 19:24:51 -0400, micky wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 28 Oct 2017 14:13:26 -0700, Oren
wrote:

On Sat, 28 Oct 2017 14:23:37 -0500, RonNNN wrote:

Try using some spray Berrymans carb cleaner and spray around the intake
and pcv hose and other vacuum hoses (etc.), if the engine RPM increases
you've found a vacuum leak.

I seen or read about also using a propane gas from a small tank. Just
open the gas valve an point to the suspect line. RPM gets eradicate.

Yeah, that's what I did. I even put a hose on it so I could tell where
the propane was going, and I put it everywhere in the intake area two
pieces met, rubber, metal, whatever, but nothing changed the RPM.

I didn't want to use carb cleaner because the engine is almost spotless
now and I figured it left residue. Is carb cleaner going to work
better than propane?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eMJ9bBlaE8

This guy used carb cleaner. No luck. But he found the leak with his hand.