Posted to alt.home.repair
RonNNN RonNNN is offline

Default P0171, P0174 and scan tool readings

In article , NONONOmisc07
@bigfoot.com says...

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 28 Oct 2017 10:20:42 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Saturday, October 28, 2017 at 12:43:28 PM UTC-4, micky wrote:

Every lean condition I've had was due to a leak in the intake system.
Have you tried any forums for the particular car/engine? Many times

Yeah, I have. Maybe it's the age of the car or maybe it's the make, or
maybe it's the people, but I don't get much in the way of answers for
any of my questions including this one. Sometimes 80 people will look
at it an no one will answer, and these are just people who have what
ever gen Solara I have and whatever gen Camry goes with it. Questions
about making the car look hot do better. I'll try again rephrasing it.

So I thought to come at it from the other direction, data
interpretation.

Maybe I can find newer cars that used the same engine, 3MZ-FE.

there are particular problem parts that are known to fail and cause
a leak. For example on the BMW X5 here, it's a 4" diameter rubber
elbow that connects the intake ducting to the throttle body. It cracks
and leaks. You can't hear it, I've never found a vacuum leak by
sound. I've read stories of people buying fog/smoke making widgets
that were designed for special effects, using them to blow smoke
into the intake so you can see where it comes out. Might find one
of those on Ebay to adapt. I think there are pro version tools that
do similar, but I've never had to go that route to find the problem.

That's an idea. I can imagine that even though the engine is not
running, not much would come out, considering the atmosophere is not
sucking like the engine is, but it still must work some of the time.

Try using some spray Berrymans carb cleaner and spray around the intake
and pcv hose and other vacuum hoses (etc.), if the engine RPM increases
you've found a vacuum leak.

--
RonNNN