Posted to rec.woodworking
OFWW[_5_] OFWW[_5_] is offline

Default Maloof Chair Joint

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 14:14:03 GMT, Iggy
m wrote:

replying to Sonny, Iggy wrote:
Yep, wonderful stuff that makes the chair seem to be one single piece of wood.
I'm no furniture builder, but I've repaired my share of broken chairs and
other furniture. The Maloof will never let you down and I've never seen one
fail yet. Mortise and Tenon and Dowelling do nothing but fail and they must be
screwed through or into to last a lifetime or more...ALL GLUES FAIL. If you
aren't screwing your joints, you're building failure.

From what I have been studying screws fail at a rate faster then a
mortise tenon joint for numerous reasons. Look at the centuries old
wood work in Asia, and their temple buildings also, with no screws in
them, and no glue.

Just what do you consider a lifetime? I have also read of Joint
failures on that type of joint. A study of wood would show you why, as
I have been finding out.