Posted to sci.electronics.repair
micky micky is offline

Default How to tighten round nut on swtich?

In sci.electronics.repair, on Thu, 26 Oct 2017 22:26:38 -0700, mike
wrote:

And I cut the wire from the speedometer
to the convertible top motor, so I can put the top up or down when going
5 mph, instead of being limited to zero up to now.

I worry about the unintended consequences of my actions when disabling
safety features.
It might become an issue when someone else drives your car.
I'm sure you will never let anyone else drive your car...until it
happens. The person who buys it at your estate sale might be surprised
when he accidentally pops the top at highway speed.

One more thing. Every car I've had except one 47 years ago (that I sold
because my brother gave me a convertible) and my immediately preceding
car, that I still have, has gone to the junk man after it left me. Even
the one I still have, I might not be able to find someone who will both
buy and repair.

I was going to list this as the first reason there is no danger in my
cutting the wire from the speedometer to the top motor, but I'll admit
that maybe I'll raise my standard of living by the time I'm 75 and not
drive my car until it falls apart, like I always have. And of course if
I die, there's no special reason to think the car will be a junker then,
but my plan is to live much longer than this car will last. ;-)

(Of course and otoh, even if I outlive this car, I'll cut the same wire
on the next four cars, every 5 years instead of 7 like it's been, if I
still have the strength to do it. It was tedious and tiring to kneel on
the ground for a total of an hour or more and twist my body to look at
the wires behind the kick panel, but all in all, it was still easy. I
hear a time is coming when I'm 90 or 95 that I won't be able to do this.
Maybe I could hire someone, but that is so expensive. ;-) )