Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where do you buy your passenger car tire patch plugs?

On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 17:31:36 -0000 (UTC), Blake Snyder
wrote:

a lot of "drivel" snipped.

Getting it to pop into place is child's play but sometimes takes a lot of
jiggling. What I do is screw on the air after removing the schrader valve
core (but you don't really have to), and then that gets the air in fastest
as I jiggle the tire with both hands.

Try seating a new tire that's been stacked for a few months on a
wide-ish rim without a "speed inflator" You can bounce till you are
silly, and jiggle 'till you giggle, and it will NOT go on.
Particularly without removing the schrader valve. Being able to blast
air in between the rim and the tire bead is almost a requirement. On a
bias tire, wrapping a rope around the middle of the tire and twisting
would spread the beads, but on a steel belted radial it can often be
futile.

I've never had a tire not seat, but in the past, I also used the redneck
methods, which work, but are dangerous (such as the carb cleaner lighter
trick). Those redneck bead-seating methods work. And they work fast. Too
fast for my liking. I'll take the 30 second air-compressor bead seating
method over the instantaneous carb-cleaner-explosion method any day.

And if you want to mout my 225-70 tires on my 8" wide rims you'll be
sweating and turning the air blue - which is why I won't even try
without proper equipment - and why I paid to have mine mounted.

It's fine if you want to do it at home, but it's not worth it to me
for all those reasons and the few times I need to do it.

Exactly.
You don't want to *do* the job.
All your other hurdles (e.g., force) are bogus.

And you are being an ass.

The real reason you're throwing up imaginary hurdles is that you just don't
*like* the job, and that's ok. You can be true to yourself.

It's not
at all like a leaf blower that I use frequently, can store almost
anywhere, takes little space and doesn't need to be bolted to the floor.

You don't get it if you say that, but I already explained that my Echo leaf
blower is *far* more effort to maintain and store than are *any* of the
steel tools lying outside that I use to change tires.

And you are an idiot if you leave your steel tools lying around
outside - particularly with the weather we have around here.