indago

Default Explosives: Tree stump removal

031114 1339 - Eric Scantlebury wrote:

"oldal4865" wrote in message

Er. . .you know stumps tend to rot out if you wait long enough.

I was just going to suggest he look up someone here that has a termite
problem and offer to "relocate" the problem.

When the Erie Canal was built they used an interesting device to remove tree
stumps. The program that I saw showed a computer generated image of the
device, which consisted of two wheels about 10' in diameter with an axle
between. A chain was wrapped around the axle, and down around the stump. A
team of horses were attached to heavy ropes around the wheels and the horses
were "encouraged" to pull on the wheels. The axle turned with the chain
pulling up on the stump. It was explained that this method was quite
effective and used extensively.