Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default LED v CFL bulbs

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017 10:17:57 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Johnny B Good wrote:

can you recall the lumens figure on those 60W lamps (assuming that
you're in the UK)?

The clue's in the email address :-P

Yeah, redundant assumption on my part. Mind you, the return email
address can be made up any which way you like but in this case, it would
have been reasonable to assume a UK location without further comment.

I'd expect a much lower figure than the 806/810 lumens figure
typical of a "60W" LED lamp for 240v 1000 hour rated GLS lamps.

They were not [marked as] rough service lamps just normal "old hat light
bulbs" this is the type they'd bought, so 500 lm.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/4iMAAOSwFNZWvTy3/s-l500.jpg

Different wattages from other photos from the same eBay seller

40W pearl = 270 lm 40W clear = 280 lm 60W pearl = 500 lm 60W clear = 520
lm 100W pearl = 970 lm 100W clear = 1000 lm 150W pearl = 2000 lm 150W
clear = 2100 lm

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/oSQAAOSwUuFWvTbr/s-l500.jpg

strangely the 40W clear golfball are 350 lm ...

Oddly, they all look like figures typical for long life / rough service
lamps rather than for the UK standard 1000 hour life GLS lamp. The only
clue in that picture to suggest that they might be long life / rough
service being the use of the word "Professional" on the packaging.

Anyway, harking back to the observation that modern "60W" 810lm LED GLS
lamps seem to match or exceed expectations (for those of us in the UK at
any rate), is simply down to the manufacturers being forced by regulation
to use lumens output figures based on the more efficient American 120v
incandescent lamp standard when such equivalency "Wattage Ratings" are
included on the packaging by way of a guide to help their customers
choose a replacement for an incandescent light bulb.

It's rather fortunate for us in the UK (and Europe for that matter) that
the American incandescent lamp figures were the ones chosen to set the
standard since this results in an LED GLS lamp that produces a little
more light than our wattage equivalent incandescent lamps produce.

The increase is a very welcome one since choice of incandescent lamp
wattage is typically based on a minimum acceptable level to keep their
running cost as low as possible. The main reason we use 60W lamps in
place of 150W lamps is on account of the profligate energy consumption
such a "luxury item" as a 150W lamp would represent. A doubling or
tripling of the light levels commonly used in homes lit by classic
tungsten filament GLS lamps would be a very welcome improvement in all
bar a few exceptional cases, hence my use of the phrase "You never had it
so good." :-)

--
Johnny B Good