Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] mailbin@nomail.com is offline

Default How to get tar off fireplace brickwork?

On 25/10/2017 09:03, Martin Brown wrote:
On 24/10/2017 17:02, wrote:

Having opened-up a fireplace that's been closed since the 60s I need
to get the build-up of tar off the bricks before the wood burner goes in.

I don't think you will ever realistically get them clean enough to be on
show. A cement render over the old fireplace brickwork was my solution.

I've tried a blowlamp, wire brush and scraper but it's not clearing it
particularly well.
Suggestions?

You might be able to get the worst off with a sacrificial wood chisel
but it will take forever to do and be hard to do neatly.

Somebody else is fitting the stove today so I'll need it work around it
at my "leisure", whatever that is ;-)