Posted to alt.home.repair
Blake Snyder Blake Snyder is offline

Default Where do you buy your passenger car tire patch plugs?

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 18:44:11 GMT, in ,
Iggy wrote:

Oh I know, I was just throwing out an idea that really is just as good and is
essentially what the pros do...I do not at all agree with the pros in overly
reaming the hole, their plugs go in entirely too loose for me. I've gone years
with no leaks on those push-in plugs, they've been successful for decades.

You bring up a great point in that I always feel bad that I have to *widen*
a hole just to put in a patchplug.

The patchplugs have a steel insert so they can go into pretty small holes,
but the process uses a reaming tool that makes the belt edges smoother than
they would be if you didn't use the reaming tool.

Like you, it always seems a little counter productive if you're trying to
fix a hole, that you first have to make it bigger.

But what you're really trying to do is smooth out the belts and to make the
hole more uniformly the "right size" for the patch plug.

I do agree though that it's sort of like cutting someone open just to
remove a splinter in that you have to *harm* the tire before you can fix
it.

Just make sure you're going to actually do it right and not just slather
Vulcanizing Cement all over. You must buff, cement and over-seal like the
pros. Meaning, don't get just the plugs in your link and instead go for the
complete kit -
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xtra-Seal-T...AVF Z&vxp=mtr

I like *that* 20-patchplug kit because it comes with the hard-to-find black
inside goop that you paint over the inside of the repair!

It also comes with the softener that you use before buffing, which is
chemically matched to everything else by being all of the same brand.

I don't use the softener because I don't see how it does anything but make
it a *lot* less work for scraping away the surface layer (which is critical
for a tire shop where time is money).

But I would use the black inside goop to seal everything up nicely!