Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where do you buy your passenger car tire patch plugs?

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 13:35:32 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/24/2017 1:20 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 12:48:48 PM UTC-4, Blake Snyder wrote:

I do all the above, except dismounting tires at home.

That's fine as I *know* most people don't dismount tires just like most
people don't dig their own fencepost holes.

The difference of course is that a hole digger is about the size of a
shovel, sits easily in the corner, and doesn't have to be mounted to
the garage floor. Tire changing eqpt is large, bulky and does have
to be floor mounted. And if I had the need to dig a bunch of holes,
I'd rent a power tool.

Last time I had a tire plugged/patched is about 5 years ago. In 56
years and 25 cars of driving I'd not paid out enough for tire repairs to
justify buying any equipment. I do have a tire pressure gauge though.

I've had 2 flats on the road in 49 years - one of them in the
Black hills of North Dakota at about -40 - (as well as 3 tire valves
failing within a few days while on holliday)and have had a few go flat
in the drivewy -or develop "slow leaks" - none of which were an
"emergency". The one in North Dakota was on a tire that really should
not have been fixed - it was pretty well worn - but it got me to Banff
Alberta and back home to Ontario after having it repaired (JUST made
it to a shop that could fix it before it got too low to drive on ---
was looking for air to get me to the next city and I found the manager
of the local Co-Op pulling into his driveway in his pickup truck at
7pm on Sunday night and he insisted on opening the shop and fixing the
tire for me. Good western hospitality.)