Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Where do you buy your passenger car tire patch plugs?

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 15:39:25 -0000 (UTC), Blake Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Oct 2017 15:14:14 GMT, in ,
Iggy wrote:

Use both the rope and the interior patch and each repaired leak will outlive
the tire.

This is good advice. It doesn't answer the question, but it provides an
alternative which would negate the need for the question. I agree.

I've done that "plug and patch" method which works well, especially after
investing in a tire knife (which is flexible skiving blade to flush cut so
that it cuts "more flush" but it's never perfect).
http://kextirerepair.com/product-images/parts_lg/929.jpg

When I used the long rubbery plugs in addition to the flat patch, that made
a prettier patch, with slightly less "bump" but I don't have any more of
the long rubbery plugs.
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/xtra-seal-5344/agriculture-hd-parts---accessories-19818/agricultural---construction-20126/tire-repair-20137/patch-plug-repair-kit-17475/insert-repairs/12114/4869847

When I tried that same method with the stringy "rope", it was much harder
to cut the rope sticking out on the inside of the tire well flush. So the
patch had a slight hump. No big deal, of course, but it's not perfect.

The "patch & plug" method you propose is the *only* method that you can
purchase at the local auto parts stores, and local big box hardware stores,
I agree.

But I picked up a handful of those patchplugs from a tire shop who handed
them to me gratis and I fell in love with them. I'm sure if I asked again,
they'd give me another handful, but I don't want that.

I just want to find a nice source for patchplugs either locally or online.

Here are some examples:
http://www.blackjacktirerepair.com/patch-plug-combi-units
https://www.amazon.com/Tru-Flate-15-296-Plug-N-Patch-Rubber-Integral/dp/B000CIUOVA
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xtra-Seal-Universal-Combination-Tire-Plug-Patch-Repair-31-13-381-/162313768524

I am just asking if any of you have experience with purchasing the best?

I buy mine from my local tire repair outlet (local garage that used
to be owned by my brother) I'd buy them from the company I used to
work for, but they've changed hands twice since I left and are farther
away. I know they are using good stuff because they buy it from the
same guys I bought them from for 20+ years in the business.

Buying online you have no idea what crap you are buying. Same with
buying from big box stores - you only KNOW it's the cheapest they
could buy.