EJ

Default Explosives: Tree stump removal

"Michael Baugh" wrote in message

Go down to the local pharmacy and get a bunch of
salt peter, drill holes in the stump, and pour the
salt peter into the holes. The roots will then dry out
and start to rot.

Michael Baugh wrote in message
.. .

All right, let's give you an introduction to explosives.
Something explodes because it is in a confined space.
A cork plugging the hole is not sufficient to keep the
gunpowder from simply burning quickly and popping
the cork.
Frankly, I cannot BELIEVE that people haven't told
you about the most common way to make an explosive,
but perhaps it's so they don't want to share it with a few
dozen teenagers looking for a way to blow something up.

Crafty wrote in message

Hello. I have been having trouble with removing a stump. I cannot
afford to rent a dozer, grinder, or hire someone to do it for me. I
have several LARGE stumps to remove. Digging is also impossible
because there are many other tree roots nearby, and the ground is
mostly rock and clay.

I cut down the trees a few years ago. I don't know what kind they
are, but they are the toughest damned trees I've ever seen in my
life! My chainsaw broke cutting them down, and an axe barely
penetrates the surface! They look like Poplar, but they are simply
too large to be poplar trees.

I am on my last leg, and this is my idea:

1) Drill a 1.5'' diameter hole in the stump, about 3-4 inches deep
2) Fill it with gunpowder

3) Cork it tight

Yeah,like that will work.Might shoot the cork a good distance.

4) Install a long fuse
5) Light it and run

This will most certainly work. The only problem is that there are a
LOT of nearby trees that I want to keep, and I don't want to catch
anything on fire. Has anyone tried anything similar to this?

Also, I cannot use chemicals. The trees are right above my well

sump.
Burning is also out of the question.

Please do not try this yourself. I don't anyone to get hurt from my
idea. I'm looking for people who've tried it or something similar.

Open to other suggestions. Advice is appreciated. Thanks a lot!

When using explosives,one must consider where the debris will fly.
(possible damage to property,especially other's)
Blasting inside city limits also is a no-no.

From your comments/plans,it appears you lack knowledge of safely

doing
any explosives work. I'd suggest a pro.

I load shotgun shells often, so I am familiar with gunpowder. I wasn't
aware that it was so unstable, and I've never had it detonate

prematurely.
A little wood glue should hold the cork in place well enough. I

already
have gunpowder, so the cost would be minimal.

HD has stuff called "Stump Out" which is salt peter. It will speed rot.
Also, you could easily cut the stump out a few months after application.

EJ