Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default LED v CFL bulbs

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Johnny B Good wrote:
I tried a 30W CFL in our hall pendant fitting a couple or three years
ago. It was claimed to be equivalent to a 130W incandescent lamp AFAICR
but my impression was that it seemed no brighter than a 100W incandescent
lamp which makes me suspect that the wattage equivilency for CFLs is
still based on the UK and European 240 and 220 volt 1000 hour lamps
rather than the much brighter American 120v 750 hour lamps which is the
benchmark for LED lamps.

Never really understood why makers need to lie about light output.

Once one starts doing it, it should be obvious why more do too.

Does it sell more to the gullible?

More of yours, obviously.

It certainly annoys those who expect such claims to be true.

But if they all do it, that’s stiff **** for them.

If they claimed the light output was say equivalent
to the 60w (or whatever) GLS most would know,
and it turned out to be better, who would complain?

Thanks for that completely superfluous proof of why you always needed a
union.